Name: Lodge Cast Iron Skillet
Website: Lodge Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder, 12-inch
Overall Rank: 90 out of 100
Lodge Cast Iron Skillet, Product Overview
This is the most essential piece of cookware that you can own. Lodge cast iron skillets are very versatile. They can be used on the stove, in the oven, on the grill or even over an open flame when camping. Cast iron skillets are very durable. You will need to buy one and it will last you your entire life! I love my cast iron cookware!
The Good & the Bad
The Good: Durability, Cost, healthy cooking
- 12 INCH CAST IRON SKILLET. The Lodge cast iron skillet is a seasoned skillet that is ready to use and is very versatile. It measures 12 inch diameter and is 2 inches deep. It is designed ergonomically and can be taken from the stovetop to the oven or even the campfire.
- It is preseasoned! You don’t have to worry about how to get that nice non-stick coating on it. Great seasoning can make all the difference. Lodge does not use any synthetic chemicals on their pre-seasoned cookware, just vegetable oil. Your seasoning will become better with each use.
- Lodge is a United States Company. It has been making cast iron cookware in South Pittsburg, TN since 1896.
The Bad: Heavy, specific care
- A cast iron piece of cookware is much heavier than other pieces of cookware.
- You will want to pay attention to how you care for cast iron. Soaps will strip the seasoning of the cast iron skillet. When you wash a piece of cast iron cookware, you want to simply rinse it with water and remove the food particles.
Who is the Lodge Cast Iron Skillet For?
The cast-iron skillet is for any cook who is health-conscious. Teflon and other non-stick cookware release toxic chemicals each time you cook with it that will get into your food. Aluminum pans can release some aluminum, a known neurotoxin, into your food in small amounts each time you use it. However, cast iron skillets do not do that.
Cast Iron SkilletTools & Training
The most important part of owning cast iron skillets is to learn how to properly care for them. Make sure that you are protecting the seasoning on your cookware and not stripping it off with detergent.
Lodge has a support line that you can call for product support. 423-837-7181.
Lodge Cast Iron Skillet Price
The Lodge cast-iron skillet’s price is competitive with other comparable cookware. T-Fal offers a cast iron skillet that is about the same price. Le Creuset, a higher-end cookware brand, offers a cast-iron skillet that has an enamel coating at more than twice the cost of Lodge’s cast-iron skillet.
My Final Opinion of Lodge Cast Iron Skillet
I love my lodge cast iron skillet. I purchased my 12 inch cast iron skillet when I moved to my first apartment a decade ago. I wasn’t so sure about the extra grip opposite of the handle since my mother’s cast iron cookware didn’t have it. However, I have discovered is is great for when you want to make something in the cast iron skillet and transfer it to the oven. I often sautee some ingredients for my crustless quiche in the cast iron skillet first, then add the egg and bake it in the oven. It works out well!
Lodge Cast Iron Skillet at a Glance…
Name: Lodge Cast Iron Skillet
Overall Scam Rank: 90 out of 100
VERDICT: LEGIT – One of my favorite things to use in the kitchen. I love its durability. Once you get the hang of seasoning it, it becomes second nature! So easy to use!