As the topic of legalizing marijuana and medical marijuana gains traction in the news, many people are wondering is CBD oil a drug? Many people have heard about the miracle of CBD oil for epilepsy and seizure control. However, there are still questions about whether there will be long term side effects.
First, let me throw in a disclaimer. I am not a doctor. I am not legally allowed to recommend a course of treatment. I’m simply a health blogger who tinkers with alternative treatments in hopes to cure myself of alopecia universalis and epilepsy. You are free to test out CBD oil on your own at your own risk.
Is CBD Oil a Drug?
Yes, my friend, I do believe that CBD oil is a drug. Many people will jump down my throat at that statement because it is a “natural substance”, but hear me out. You should also realize that nowhere in nature is the oil found in the oil form that you purchase. That amount is extracted from multiple plants.
The definition of drug is a medicine or other substance that when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body has a physiological effect on the body.
CBD oil is an “other substance” which does cause a physiological effect on the endocannabinoid system. It upregulates the endocannabinoid system. This can create positive effects for the person taking it. Also, it is important to note that it is not a cure. When you stop taking the CBD oil, your symptoms are likely to return unless you have changed your lifestyle such that the underlying inflammatory condition cleared up.
The Miracles of CBD Oil
CBD oil is successfully treating many people who have seizures. It’s often used for people who have intractable epilepsy for whom other treatments have failed. This is somewhat miraculous because seizures are not very well understood by the medical profession. In my own experience, my doctor told me that my seizures were “idiopathic” and left it at that. They didn’t know what was causing them and they would trouble shoot with anticonvulsants.
- CBD oil for cancer – Many people with cancer have used cannabis and been completely cured of it. In clinical studies, cannabis has been found to kill cancer cells. The National Cancer Institute in the United States is even acknowledging that cannabis is a powerful cancer treatment.
- CBD oil for autism – CBD hemp oil is especially effective in treating neurological disorders. The body has cannabinoid receptors that exist in the central nervous system. CBD oil can be used to restore cannabinoid balance and it will enable the appropriate neurological communication, which will eliminate the symptoms of autism.
- Cannabis oil for ADHD – ADHD is a result of impaired neurotransmitters. Cannabis raises the level of dopamine in the brain, which is a similar action to medications such as Ritalin and Adderall. Because cannabinoids work in the brain and regulate hormones, they will release dopamine. The stimulating effect follows its natural course.
- CBD for seizures – CBD has been used for intractable seizures for children who do not respond to conventional treatment. This results in higher mortality rates and reduced damage from seizures. A 2015 study discovered that cannabidiol is extremely effective in reducing seizures. This is due to the fact that CBD inhibits glutamate release; glutamate plays an active role in the genesis of seizures.
- CBD oil for anxiety – The endocannabinoid receptors exist in the amygdala section of the brain. This area is responsible for experiencing emotion. This is one reason cannabinoids affect emotion. Cannabis has a calming effect which consequentially can reduce anxiety.
- CBD oil for Chron’s disease – CBD interacts with the endocannabioids in the immune system. It’s therefore extremely effective in treating Crohn’s disease and other immunoinflammatory diseases. Cannabis reduces pain, relaxes the gastrointestinal spasms and decreases inflammation. This intervention can help the body to heal from Crohn’s disease. A study published in 2013 in the Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology journal discovered that marijuana put Crohn’s disease into complete remission for half of the participants. It also improved their appetite and sleep with no adverse side effects.
- CBD oil for Alzheimer’s – CBD oil reduces the neuron inflammation which is a precursor to Alzheimer’s disease and other brain disorders.
- Cannabis oil for liver health – Cannabinoid receptors are in the liver tissue. Cannabis oil will help to prevent liver cell oxidation, which is an essential component in the deterioration of the liver.
- CBD oil for colitis – Colitis is a chronic immunoinflammatory condition of the colon which causes the lining of the colon to deteriorate and leak its contents creating a septic condition. Cannabinoids assist the lining of the colon by helping them bond tighter together to restore the integrity and heal the lesions. CBD also reduces the inflammation and eases the pain of colitis.
- Cannabis oil for insomnia – There are anecdotal reports of CBD usage helping people who are suffering from insomnia.
- Cannabis oil for multiple sclerosis – Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease that impacts the brain and how it communicates with the rest of the body. The symptoms of multiple sclerosis include muscle spasticity, muscle stiffness and reduced mobility. CBD oil has been shown to have a protective effect which reduces inflammation and allows neurotransmitters to communicate normally.
- CBD oil for chronic pain – The anti-inflammatory effect of the CBD oil can help to reduce pain levels. There has been some clinical evidence that the root cause of chronic pain is endocannabinoid deficiency.
Where Can I Buy CBD Oil?
Most doctors are not prescribing CBD oil as it is not a pharmaceutical drug that they have a lot of training and information about. There are some doctors that are specializing in treatment with CBD oil, but they tend to be in states with legalized medical marijuana, such as Colorado and California.
The CBD oil industry has paired up with MLM companies. There are many representatives that are selling CBD oil. You can also purchase it from a few companies that are selling it online. While the companies claim that it is legal in all 50 states, please understand that is somewhat of a gray area. It can be considered a drug, although it is not by many people. It’s unlikely that if you purchase a bottle from a representative that you’ll be arrested, but it is possible that laws may shut the business down depending on the politics of the day.
- Hempworx – I purchased from this company. It’s a network marketing company. The product is a pure extract with a peppermint essential oil flavor.
- CBD Distillery – This company has great pricing for quality full spectrum CBD products. Their 5000mg full spectrum CBD oil is priced at $.05/mg. The oils reportedly taste good too!
- Lazarus Naturals has hands down the best prices at only $.04/mg CBD. Many people are raving about Lazarus Naturals because of their budget pricing. There are complaints about the taste though. However, for the positive impact of the CBD oil, many are willing to put up with the earthy bland flavor.
Final Thoughts on CBD Oil
CBD oil may not be a miracle superfood. It currently isn’t a pharmaceutical drug, but it acts on the body as one. The great thing about CBD oil is that you can try it out without a prescription. There are plenty of MLM reps that will be happy to sell you a bottle if there isn’t a marijuana dispensary in your state. It is now much easier to obtain CBD oil that it was just five years ago. If you are using CBD oil and not changing the eating or lifestyle habits that led to your conditions, CBD oil is just going to give you temporary relief of your symptoms. If you do combine CBD oil with other healing habits, it could assist the body in healing itself and be your miracle cure. Either way, I believe it is worth a try. I personally have been taking the Hempworx brand for about two weeks. Nothing miraculous has happened for me yet, but I feel great overall and I’m optimistic.